Crunchy tortillas are topped with cheddar cheese and a spiced up chicken and veggie mixture. My chicken tostadas are quick, easy, and fun to eat!
The past few weeks have been busy, busy, and busy for me! Between trips home, wedding stuff, working on updating old recipes, and working on new recipes I’ve been all about quick and easy meals.
Last weekend my sister came to visit Kyle and I, so I wanted to have something quick, but delicious for lunch before we headed out to do some shopping. I’ve had tostadas on the mind lately and I had a rotisserie chicken hanging out in my fridge, so it was the perfect opportunity!
I grabbed some onions and peppers (both homegrown, of course!) and whipped up some tostadas. They came together really fast and were delicious! I used chicken since I had some in the fridge, but you could easily use shredded beef or pork, or make a vegetarian version using black beans. The vegetarian version is on my list to try next – I love black beans!
We ate these for lunch on their own, but you could serve them up for dinner alongside some beans and rice, or a simple salad. They would also make a great snack or an appetizer. I’m pretty much into tostadas anytime of the day… I made a breakfast one the other day with pepper jack cheese and scrambled eggs. Yes, it was as delicious as it sounds.
You can make this ahead by preparing all of the components and then assemble and bake them when you’re ready to eat, or you could make them completely ahead and just heat them up in your oven or toaster oven. Or, you can just eat them right out of the refrigerator… I have a tendency to do this when I’m hungry. A lot of my food doesn’t even make it to the microwave/toaster oven!
Tostadas are really easy to make and very versatile. It’s a good recipe to “clean out” the fridge with – great for using leftover meat and veggies. Use your imagination and get creative here – it’s a fun food to make and eat!
I hope you all had a fantastic weekend and enjoy your Monday! Is that even possible? It is if you’re having tostadas!
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 1 Tablespoon Extra-Light Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ½ Teaspoon Chili Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Shredded Chicken*
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
- Salsa, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425º. Lay the corn tortillas out on 2 baking sheets, making sure they don’t overlap. Bake the tortillas for 10-15 minutes or until they are lightly browned and starting to crisp up (you’ll want to keep a close watch on them so they don’t burn).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, and garlic and sauté until they start to soften, about 8-10 minutes. Add in the spices and mix well, then add the chicken.
- Sprinkle a small amount of cheese on each tortilla, and then evenly distribute the chicken mixture. Top each with the remainder of the cheese.
- Bake the tostadas for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and lightly browned.
- *I like to use a rotisserie chicken, but you can always use leftover chicken or cook up a breast or two and shred. You can also swap out the chicken for beef, pork, or even black beans for a vegetarian option.
- Bake the tortillas as directed in the recipe. Let cool and store in an airtight container until you’re ready to assemble the tostadas.
- Prepare the filling, let cool, and store in an airtight container.
- When you’re ready to assemble, preheat the oven and assemble the tostadas as directed in the recipe. Serve!
- *Alternatively you can make the tostadas according to the recipe, cool them and keep in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat. Just eat them up in your oven or toaster oven – the shells get nice and crisp this way!