A healthy way to start your day! This frittata is packed with tons of kale, sweet roasted fennel, and romano cheese for a quick and tasty breakfast.
I know what you’re thinking. Another frittata?! I just can’t help myself. Whenever I have extra vegetables in the fridge, or I don’t know what to make I automatically think of my 3 go-to dishes. Pesto, hash, or a frittata. I’ve seriously made pesto out of every green imaginable, had all kinds of hashes, and as you know – tons of frittatas.
What can I say? They are really easy ways to get your veggies in and I have an abundance of them each week from the CSA! So yeah, here I am with another frittata recipe. It’s a good one though!
I’ve been really into kale lately. Mostly because I’ve been getting it each week in the CSA box and I’m constantly trying to come up with different ways to eat it. I mentioned before that I didn’t put it in smoothies because having it raw bothers my stomach. Well, I figured out that it was just baby kale that bothers me – weird I know.
So anyway, I’ve been eating kale salads like they are going out of style and I just can’t get enough! Kale has also made it’s way into whatever I’m making, so it was only natural that I’d throw it into a frittata.
I decided to add in some sweet roasted fennel and onions which really pack some flavor. I didn’t want to cover up all that veggie goodness with tons of cheese (though, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that), so I added pecorino romano. It keeps things nice and light, but really adds a great flavor.
I won’t bore you (yet again) with how much I love frittatas. I will just say – if you don’t make frittatas, you should start. They are the perfect make-ahead breakfast or quick snack. There is always one in my fridge!
- 1 Bulb Fennel, sliced
- 1 Small Onion, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 3 Cups Kale, thinly sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely minced
- 8 Eggs
- ½ Cup Grated Romano Cheese, plus additional for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Combine the fennel, onion, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 20-30 minutes or until the fennel is tender and lightly golden around the edges.
- Lower the oven temperature to 350º.
- Heat a 10-inch skillet over medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the kale and garlic and sauté until the kale is wilted. Add in the roasted fennel and onions.
- Beat the eggs with salt, pepper, and cheese until well combined. Add the eggs into the pan and stir gently. Transfer the pan into the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the frittata is set.
- Let cool before slicing into 8 wedges. Top with additional cheese before serving.