A light and healthy chicken salad that is full of texture and sweet and savory flavors. I like to serve mine in lettuce leaves for a filling lunch, but you can certainly use it to top a salad, fill a sandwich, or even with crackers.
I learned a very valuable lesson these past 2 weeks. Remember in my last post how I said that I worked ahead so that I’d have recipes to share during the past, super busy, 2 weeks? I only posted 3. Yep 3 out of the 10 that I had planned. I now know that when I plan ahead I need to immediately sit down and have the posts ready to go.
On the bright side, these past 2 weeks have been filled with family, wedding stuff, shopping, and just lots of fun! I found my wedding dress and it’s a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I was so worried I wasn’t going to find a dress!
Today’s recipe is one of my favorite lunch options for the warm days we have been having. This chicken salad is refreshing, crunchy, sweet and savory! Plus, it’s so quick and simple to make since it uses a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
This recipe can be Paleo if you use my friend Natalie’s Paleo mayo recipe. If you are an anti-mayo type you can simply use greek yogurt. I prefer the homemade mayo as I prefer the flavor of that over greek yogurt, but use whichever you like best!
I love really creamy chicken salads with lots of texture and this recipe is just that. I whisk the mayo with a little almond milk to thin it out, which allows the dressing to coat the chicken really well. Then, I toss in the chicken, some celery, sweet apples, and crunchy almonds. Yum!
To keep this chicken salad light and healthy, I serve it in lettuce leaves. It adds the perfect amount of crunch and really lets all the flavors of the chicken salad come through. However, you can stuff it between bread for a sandwich, roll it up in a wrap, put it over a salad, or even serve it with crackers.
No matter how you choose to enjoy it, it will be delicious!
- ½ Cup Paleo Mayonnaise or Greek Yogurt (or a combination)
- ¼ Cup Almond Milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Dill, finely chopped
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken, shredded
- 1 Stalk Celery, finely chopped
- 1 Apple, cut into cubes
- ¼ Cup Sliced Almonds
- Lettuce Leaves, for serving
- Whisk together the mayo, almond milk, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, and fresh dill until very smooth. Mix in the chicken, celery, apple, and almonds until well coated with the dressing.
- Allow the chicken salad to sit in the ridge for at least 30 minutes before serving for best flavor.
- Serve in lettuce cups for the perfect healthy lunch!