A classic salad with a few fun twists! It’s full of different flavors and textures and is phenomenal when topped with my homemade ranch dressing.
Have you ever craved a certain food/meal so much that nothing else satisfies you? Well, that is my life. All the time. When I want a specific food or meal I have to have it immediately or no matter what I eat/how much I eat I’m still not completely satisfied.
A few weeks ago all I wanted was a Cobb salad. And, you can’t get a Cobb salad just anywhere – some come filled with too much of one thing and not enough of another. For example, tons of bacon, tomatoes, cheese, and then a sliver of avocado and a few pieces of egg. That drives me crazy! I like my Cobb salads to have an equal amount of all of the goodness.
Kyle, being the gentlemen that he is, offered to order me one and have it delivered or go pick it up. Well, none of the takeout options fit my vision of the perfect Cobb salad. He knows not to get in-between me and food, so we got ready and went to our favorite restaurant (which has a wonderful Cobb salad).
Now, once I’m enjoying the food/meal that I’ve been craving, I’m super dramatic about it. After each and every bite I say “mmm” or “so good” or my personal favorite- ” this is the best thing I’ve ever eaten”! Kyle has learned to ignore me.
What can I say? I just love food.
So, after that Cobb salad experience I was inspired to make my own. I decided to use shrimp instead of the usual chicken because I really love shrimp. Plus, if you keep frozen shrimp on hand they thaw out in minutes, which means you can have a Cobb salad whenever the craving strikes! I also went with feta cheese over the traditional blue cheese because I always have it on hand. As for the dressing, I smother my salad in this homemade ranch dressing. You can use whatever dressing you fancy, but I highly recommend the ranch. SO GOOD!
Now that I’ve typed this recipe out I realize how incredibly simple a Cobb salad is. It probably doesn’t even require it’s own special blog post. However, maybe you haven’t had a Cobb salad in a while or haven’t thought to make your own. Or, maybe you’re in a salad rut and need to mix things up! If that’s the case, then I hope this post inspires you to do just that 🙂
- 1 Head Romaine or Green Leaf Lettuce, chopped
- 2 Slices Thick Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 Hard Boiled Eggs, peeled and chopped *(see notes for cooking perfect hard boiled eggs!)
- 2 Avocados, scooped from the skin and diced
- 1 Pint Grape Tomatoes, halved
- ¼ Cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
- 1 Pound Shrimp, grilled or sautéed and cooled
- Homemade Ranch Dressing, or your favorite dressing
- Split the lettuce between 4 salad bowls or plates. Equally divide the bacon, eggs, avocado, tomatoes, feta, and shrimp over the lettuce. Alternatively, you can do this in one large salad bowl.
- Serve drizzled with ranch dressing.
- *Place fresh eggs in a cold pot and cover with cold water. Place the lid on the pot and cover. Bring to a boil and once the water is at a rolling boil, vent the lid and set a timer for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes remove the pot from the heat and place the lid back on. Allow the eggs to sit for 11 minutes in the hot water. After 11 minutes drain the eggs and run cold water over them until cool.
- To easily peal eggs, crack them and run under water – this helps to loosen the shell making it easier to get the egg out in one piece!