A light and healthy winter meal that is perfect for busy weeknights! Grilled pork chops with kale apple salad are full of fresh flavor and super easy to put together.
Can you believe it’s Thursday already? The first week of the new year is flying by! Do you make resolutions for the new year? I really don’t, but I do like to set a few goals for myself to keep me on track throughout the year. For me, this is much more realistic and easy to follow if I set a few goals for things I want to accomplish.
Anyway, if you made a resolution to eat healthier, today’s recipe is totally for you! I debated on if I should share it or not because I hate the photos.
It’s such an easy, healthy, and tasty meal, though. So, I felt like I should share it even if I’m not happy with how the photos came out. Plus, it’s Whole30 compliant, so if you are in the midst of one, you’ll love this!
And, if you aren’t doing Whole30, you’ll still love this recipe!
This was a meal that Kyle was not excited about. At all. He doesn’t love pork chops and he also doesn’t love kale. However, he ended super shocked at how much he enjoyed this meal. The pork chops are so simple, but full of flavor. I think the trick to great pork chops is using thin cut – at least that’s what we prefer. They cook up so quick and come out tender and juicy!
The kale apple salad is also really simple. Massage your kale, toss it with the apples, add in some orange juice, lemon juice, olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. BAM.
If you’re wondering what the heck I mean by “massaging” your kale, that’s a step I never skip when I have a kale salad. It makes the leaves so tender and it’s really easy to do. Once you remove the leaves from the stems, chop them up and then squeeze small handfuls between your hands a few times. It sounds weird, but it works! You’ll see the kale will shrink down and take on more of a cooked appearance.
If you’re in need of healthy meals for busy weeknights, this recipe is definitely for you! I know it can be so hard to follow a healthy eating plan because there is usually more prep involved, but this one comes together super fast! Plus, it’s tasty and satisfying. Can’t beat that, right?
- 2 Bone-In Pork Chops, I prefer thin-cut
- 1 Tablespoon Extra-Light Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon, zested and juiced
- 4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Bunch Fresh Kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 Apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- ½ Large Orange, juiced
- 1-2 Tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Place the pork chops in a shallow dish and cover them with the olive oil, lemon, thyme, salt, and pepper. Let the pork chops marinate while you prepare the salad.
- Take the chopped kale and “massage” it by squeezing small handfuls in your hand a few times. Toss in the apple and then add in the lemon and orange juice. Drizzle in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and toss well. If it seems a little dry, add in the other tablespoon of olive oil. Season the salad liberally with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat a grill pan (or outdoor grill or broiler) over high heat. Grill the pork chops for 2-3 minute per side or until cooked to your liking.