An easy side dish to help use up all of those garden zucchinis! This cheesy zucchini rice requires just 5 ingredients and be served as a side or used as the base for a tasty burrito bowl!
Hello friends! How’s the week treating you? Can you believe how fast the month of July is flying by?
I have a super exciting weekend coming up – my bestie is getting married! Not only have we been friends since basically birth (we’re a week apart), but we will be married just months apart. I have the honor of being a bridesmaid, so I have lots of wedding fun to partake in! Plus, I’ve realized the best part about being in a wedding is that you don’t have to agonize over what to wear! That makes packing super easy.
Ok, let’s talk cheesy zucchini rice 😍😍😍
I’m sure you’re all tired of hearing me go on and on about zucchini. I really can’t help it though – I have tons of it and I just love it so much! If you haven’t tried my absolute favorite way of eating zucchini, stop reading and go here. Then come back and try this rice – it’s my second favorite way of eating zucchini!
Not only is it insanely easy to make, but it’s pretty darn tasty. It’s eat-straight-outa-the-pan good. I speak from experience, so trust me when I say that.
You only need 5 simple ingredients to make this amazing cheesy zucchini rice:
- Rice – Jasmine is my personal fav, but you can use any long grain rice you like.
- Butter to sauté the rice in and give it flavor.
- Liquid – I just use water, but chicken broth or vegetable broth will work too!
- Zucchini – grated using a box grated
- CHEESE. I use pepper jack to give the rice a nice little kick. However, if you’re not into that just use monterey jack or cheddar!
There’s also salt and pepper, but I consider those freebees, so they don’t count in the 5 ingredients!
Basically all you have to do is cook up rice and fluff in grated zucchini and cheese at the end. It’s so simple but SO good!
If you don’t like zucchini, I really think you’d still enjoy this rice. You don’t actually taste the zucchini or know it’s in there. It just adds a nice refreshing bite and texture.
I’ve made this at least twice a week for a month now. I simply can’t get enough! We love it as a side dish to grilled meats as well as the base for burrito bowls.
Stay tuned for a burrito bowl recipe using this rice next week! 😋
Have a fabulous weekend!
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 ½ Cups Jasmine Rice, rinsed well
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 Cups Water, Vegetable Broth, or Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Shredded Zucchini
- 1 Cup Grated Pepper Jack Cheese, or Monterey jack or cheddar
- Heat a 10-12 inch skillet over medium heat and add the butter. Once the butter has melted add in the rinsed rice and allow it to toast for about one minute. Season with salt and pepper, pour in the water or broth, and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
- Allow the liquid to come to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Let the rice simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until almost all of the liquid is absorbed. Turn off the heat and allow the rice to rest for 5 minutes still covered.
- Remove the lid and add in the zucchini and cheese. Use a fork to fluff the rice while working in the zucchini and cheese.
- Taste the rice and add more salt and pepper, if needed before serving.