Chicken breasts are slow cooked with homemade buffalo sauce until fall-apart-tender. Pile the chicken into a tortilla and top with a tangy celery-cabbage slaw and a drizzle of gorgonzola crema for the perfect bite. Slow cooker buffalo chicken tacos will make a perfect addition to your game day menu!
Woo hoo! It’s Thursday, which means we are one day closer to the weekend. I’ve been dragging all week… I blame the weather. It’s been so cloudy here and I need some sunlight. Not only for my happiness, but for photo shoots. I always seem to underestimate how dark the winter can be, but this one has proved to me that I need to invest in some sort of artificial light set up for my photos. Any suggestions?
Anyway, do you have anything fun planned for the weekend? Not much happening here… hopefully relaxing all weekend. I say hopefully because I know darn well I’ll end up not being able to sit still and find something to do!
Will you be watching the Super Bowl? You all probably know by now that I just watch for the commercials… and the food, of course!
Speaking of food… we’ve got buffalo chicken tacos today. Made in the slow cooker! I’ve received a lot of requests for more slow cooker recipes. So I’m giving y’all what you want!
The best part about this recipe (aside from the set-it-and-forget-it step) is that this chicken can be used in so many different ways! Anyway that you can imagine eating buffalo chicken goes here. I’ve chosen to go with tacos, because HELLO, tacos are life. I also made some taquitos with the leftovers… and dipped them in the gorgonzola crema. Need I say more?
I didn’t think so.
Cooking the chicken couldn’t be any easier. Throw a couple of chicken breasts into your slow cooker and pour over homemade buffalo sauce. The homemade buffalo sauce is also extremely simple… just whisk together hot sauce, melted butter, fresh garlic, salt, and pepper.
You can assemble the cabbage-celery slaw and gorgonzola crema ahead of time and keep them in the fridge until you’re ready to eat. Then, just pile that chicken into a corn tortilla and top it with the slaw and crema. YUM.
If you’re feeling lazy, you can always drizzle the tacos with blue cheese dressing. Although, I highly recommend you make the gorgonzola crema. Obviously! 😉
No matter what you decide to do, you most definitely aren’t allowed to skip the slaw. Seriously, it makes the tacos! This is according to my #1 taste tester, Kyle. And believe me when I say, he’s eaten a lot of tacos and a lot of buffalo chicken, so he kinda knows what he’s talkin’ bout.
The cabbage-celery slaw is also really easy. It’s equal parts coleslaw mix (best convenience item in the produce section!) and thinly sliced celery tossed with a tangy lime vinaigrette. It’s nice and refreshing and helps balance out the heat and vinegar from the chicken. The crema is the perfect finishing touch!
I should also mention, if you aren’t into gorgonzola (or blue cheese), you can omit the crema and sprinkle your tacos with jack cheese. Kyle went this route since he hates all blue cheeses and he still loved them!
Whether you’re intensely watching the Super Bowl, or just stuffing your face and watching for the commercials (🙋🏻), these buffalo chicken tacos should definitely make an appearance! You won’t be sorry, I can promise you that. 😉
Have a fabulous weekend!
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts
- ¾ Cup Hot Sauce
- 5 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely minced
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Coleslaw Mix
- 2 Cups Thinly Sliced Celery
- 1 Bunch Green Onions, chopped and a few tablespoons reserved for garnish
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- ½ Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- ¼ Cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- ¼ Cup Sour Cream, regular or reduced-fat will work
- 2 Limes, zested and juiced
- 2 Tablespoons Crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese, divided
- Water, for thinning
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Corn Tortillas, for serving
- Place the chicken breasts in your slow cooker. Whisk together the hot sauce, melted butter, garlic, salt, and pepper. Turn the slow cooker to low and cook for 6-8 hours, or until the chicken shreds easily with a fork. Shred the chicken right in the slow cooker and mix with the sauce.
- Make the slaw by combining the coleslaw mix and celery in a large bowl. In a small mason jar, combine the lime juice, honey, Dijon mustard, and olive oil. Put the lid tightly on the jar and shake well to combine; season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss a few tablespoons with the slaw to moisten and let the slaw sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- To make the crema, combine the sour cream, lime zest, lime juice, and 1 tablespoon gorgonzola in the bowl of a mini food processor. Pulse to combine until smooth. Add some water to thin if necessary. Transfer the gorgonzola crema to a small bowl, season with salt and pepper, and then stir in the remaining tablespoon of gorgonzola cheese.
- Char the corn tortillas over the burner on a gas stove, or if you have electric, you can do this in a pan. You just want the tortillas to be pliable and have some flavor.
- Have everyone assemble their tacos as desired and enjoy!
- *You can easily increase the recipe to serve more people, if you need!