Sweet, sticky, smoky chipotle BBQ bacon burgers are full of heat and flavor! Homemade chipotle BBQ sauce is easy and really takes these burgers to the next level. Top it all off with cheese and avocado for the perfect summer meal!
Hello again, my friends! How was your weekend? It was a bit chilly here, but that didn’t stop us from having a fun weekend hanging with our neighbors. I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again.. we totally hit the jackpot with our neighbors!
How great is it to move to a new neighborhood and make such great friends so quickly? We are so blessed to have them, especially since we don’t have any family close by. It’s nice to head out to local events together, celebrate birthdays, and just sit and chat on a regular basis.
Anyway, let’s get into today’s delicious post.
Can you believe we are heading into Memorial Day weekend?! The unofficial start of summer is when everyone typically heads outside to start grilling… unless you’re like me and grill all year long! Whether you are just getting the grill out or have been grilling for a while now, you’re going to want to try this burger!
Chipotle BBQ Bacon Burgers
I don’t have to tell all of you how obsessed I am with chipotle peppers. I have over a dozen recipes that contain chipotle peppers! 😬😬😬
If you love chipotle peppers as much as me, then you have to try chipotle pepper mac & cheese. Or chipotle potato salad, chipotle rice pilaf, chipotle lime popcorn, and cheesy garlic herb fries with chipotle aioli. I’ve also done things like tacos, lettuce wraps, and enchiladas. Whew! And there’s still more where that came from!
One thing you must absolutely try are these burgers! Not only does the chipotle BBQ sauce go on top of the burger, but the bacon is cooked in it! 😍
Once you make the BBQ sauce (super easy!), just brush it on some bacon, pop the bacon in the oven and let it slow cook. The key here is to watch the bacon like a hawk towards the end of the baking process! Since there is sugar in the sauce, the bacon will go from perfect to burnt in no time.
That chipotle BBQ bacon is so.darn. good. Seriously, I couldn’t stop eating it. I highly recommend making extra! 😉Grill up your burgers to your liking and finish it off with some cheddar cheese. Grab your favorite bun, the chipotle bacon, some avocado, and finish everything off with a healthy drizzle of that chipotle BBQ sauce.
Burger bliss. Absolute burger bliss.
I legit said burger bliss at least 5 times while eating this… just ask Kyle. He loved it too, by the way. In fact, we both agreed that this is how we want to eat our burgers from now on!
Go get your grill on and come back to tell me how much you love these chipotle BBQ bacon burgers! 🤗
- 1 Tablespoon Extra-Light Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, finely minced
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ Cup Dry White Wine, water or chicken broth can also be used
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- ¼ Cup Honey
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- ½ Chipotle Pepper with 1 Teaspoon Adobo Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 4-8 Slices Bacon
- Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 1.5 lbs. Ground Beef, or turkey
- Extra-Light Olive Oil, for drizzling
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 Slices Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Gluten-Free Burger Buns, or if you’re not GF, whatever your favorite bun is
- Sliced Avocado, for serving
- Additional Chipotle BBQ Sauce, for topping
- Make the BBQ sauce by heating the olive oil over medium-high heat in a small pot. Add in the onion and sauté until lightly caramelized, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic, salt, and black pepper; stir and cook for 30 seconds. Deglaze the pan with the white wine and cook until the liquid reduces by half, about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, honey, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, chipotle pepper, and adobo sauce. Bring the mixture to a low simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir in the white wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and then transfer the sauce to a mini food processor to puree. If the sauce is too thick, add some water to thin it out to desired consistency.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay out your bacon in an even layer. Brush each side lightly with the BBQ sauce. Place the bacon in the oven and turn the heat to 325º. Allow the bacon to cook for 15 minutes before flipping and allowing it cook for another 10-15 minutes on the other side. Keep a very close eye on it towards the end so it doesn’t burn! Once the bacon is a deep golden brown and the edges are starting to char, it’s done. Let it rest on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, preheat your grill and drizzle your burgers with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Grill the burgers to desired doneness, adding cheese on for the last 30 seconds or so. (On my infrared grill, they take about 7 minutes for medium.) Let the burgers rest for a few minutes before serving.
- To serve, place the burger on a bun and top with bacon, sliced avocado, and additional BBQ sauce.