Brown rice is tossed with black beans, corn, red onion, red pepper, and a southwest-flavored dressing to make up this fantastic salad! It’s a great make-ahead option that is perfect for parties, hot summer nights, and quick lunches.
Happy Monday! Yes, it’s a happy Monday… why? I’m engaged! I will do a separate post on that with some great photos – I always love reading engagement stories, so I figure why not share mine?
Ok, onto Make-Ahead Monday! This recipe is one of my absolute favorite salads – it’s easy, quick, healthy, and delicious. I served this at my 4th of July picnic and it was a huge hit alongside some grilled chicken. Labor Day is just around the corner and this will be a fantastic item to add to your menu!
I love brown rice – a lot. I make so many different kinds of salads with it, but this is by far one of my favorites. It’s so simple to put together – it’s brown rice tossed with black beans, corn, onions, red pepper, and a delicious dressing. It’s a great make-ahead option, which makes it perfect for parties!
I made this salad two days in advance and just kept the dressing separate until I was ready to serve. Once you’re ready to serve, just toss with the dressing and let it come to room temperature for about an hour – perfection!
This southwest flavored salad is perfect alongside grilled chicken, fish, steak, and pork – whatever you want. I made it last week with blackened salmon and it was a fantastic accompaniment! It pairs very well with spicy dishes because the corn is so sweet and balances everything out.
This makes a large amount, which is great because the leftovers are phenomenal. I enjoyed them for lunch all week! There isn’t much more I can say about this one except that you need to try it! I have these ingredients on hand pretty much all the time, so it’s a great pantry meal when you’re in a pinch.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and stay tuned for my engagement post, if you’re interested!
- For the Salad:
- 1 ½ Cups Brown Rice
- 2 ½ Cups Water
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 (12oz.) Bag Frozen Corn (I get the one that you can microwave in the bag)
- 1 (15.5oz) Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 Small Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, finely chopped
- Handful of Fresh Parsley or Cilantro, chopped
- For the Dressing:
- 3 Limes, juiced
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- ½ Teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ Teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Honey*
- 5 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 375º. Combine the rice, water, salt and pepper into a 9x9-inch square baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Fluff the rice with a fork and place in a colander to rinse with cold water. Place the rice in a large bowl and toss in the corn, black beans, red onion, red pepper, and parsley; mix well.
- In a small mason jar combine all of the dressing ingredients; shake well. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well. Serve.
- *You can use whatever sweetener you like - I have used regular sugar with success before, but I prefer the honey.