Sweet roasted red beets lay over a bed of peppery arugula, crunchy sunflower seeds, crisp onion, and tangy Gorgonzola cheese. Drizzle it all with homemade lemon-pepper vinaigrette for a delicious, healthy salad.
My favorite go-to lunch lately has been this salad – I just can’t get enough. A lot of people seem to always wrinkle their nose at the mention of beets. I can’t figure out why because they are so sweet and delicious! All it takes is a little roasting and you’ve got a delicious salad topper or side dish.
Last week I had an arugula salad at a local restaurant that I just knew I had to come home and recreate! That one didn’t include the beets, but I had some in my fridge and I knew they would be the perfect on top of an arugula salad!
As much as I love beets, I hate handling them because they stain everything. The solution? Wear rubber gloves and cover your cutting board in paper towels! Slice them into wedges and then roast until tender and sweet. You can serve them as a side dish tossed with some butter and herbs, or let them cool completely and use them for topping salads.
I love arugula – the peppery bite is delicious in salads or wilted in pasta dishes. However, if you aren’t into arugula you can make this with a spring mix or spinach. For me though, it’s all about the arugula!
I love this salad because it’s really easy to assemble and keeps for a few days in the fridge (without the dressing). I made this on Monday and ate it for 3 days, so if you want to make this ahead you can easily do that. Make sure not to dress the whole salad or you’ll have a wilted mess – just keep it in a jar and then drizzle each serving.
Speaking of making ahead – this would make a great side for your holiday meals. The holidays are quickly approaching and as I always say – you can never start the planning too early!
You can easily add protein to this salad to make it more substantial if you wish – grilled chicken, salmon, or shrimp would be delicious! I’m getting hungry just thinking about it.
Go grab some red beets and make this salad – you won’t be sorry! Oh, and if you’ve never tried beets please do. I bet they will become one of your new favorite veggies!
- 6 Small-Medium Red Beets, peeled and sliced into wedges*
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 (5 oz.) Package Baby Arugula
- 1 Small Red Onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ Cup Sunflower Seeds
- ¼ Cup Crumbled Gorgonzola Cheese
- 2 Lemons, zested and juiced
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 400º.
- In a baking dish, toss the beets with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake at 400º for 30-45 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Place the arugula in a large salad bowl and top with the cooled beets, sliced red onions, sunflower seeds, and cheese.
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a small mason jar. Tightly secure the lid and shake the dressing until well combined.
- Serve the salad topped with the dressing (you may not need all of the dressing). I like to top each portion individually and save leftovers for marinating or other salads!
- *Try to find small or medium sized beets – large ones tend to be very tough and woody tasting. The smaller the beet, the sweeter they tend to be. Scrub them well and then wear rubber gloves while peeling them to avoid stained hands!