One of the many things I love about fall is a comforting bowl of soup, stew, or chili. Soups are easy one-pot meals and can be relatively healthy (depending on what you add to them!). Throwing a bunch of ingredients into a slow cooker in the morning and coming home to a warm, delicious-smelling soup is my kinda meal!
Today’s recipe does just that. And let me tell you – this one is SO delicious!! This chicken tortilla chili is healthy (minus all of the corn chips and cheese I top mine off with) and couldn’t be easier to make. Basically, you just toss a bunch of veggies, broth, and seasonings into your slow cooker and let it go. When you’re ready to eat, stir in some rotisserie chicken and serve it up! Topped with corn chips and cheese, of course!
I make my chicken tortilla chili spicy, of course. I love a spicy kick, and I can’t get enough of it with this recipe. Every bite just gets better and better! Sweet corn, creamy black beans, spicy jalapeños – yes! Top things off with melty cheese and crunchy corn chips… heaven. Heaven in a bowl!
If you don’t like things spicy – fear not. Simply remove the seed from jalapeño or omit it all together and add a bell pepper if you’d like. You can also cut the chili powder down if you really don’t want any spice. There’s still plenty of flavor to go around!
I should also mention that if you don’t have a slow cooker or don’t want to use it, you can make this chili in about an hour on the stove top. Make it the night before you want to eat it and then just reheat the soup when you’re ready to eat!
Do you love soups, stews, and chilis as much as I do? Do you often use your slow cooker?
- 2 (14.5 oz) Cans Stewed Tomatoes, or homemade
- 4 cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Frozen Corn
- 1 (14.5 oz) Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Small Can Tomato Paste
- 1 Jalapeño, diced*
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 Tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp. Salt
- ½ Tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken, shredded*
- Tortilla Chips
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Fresh Parsley, or cilantro
- Toss all the ingredients for the chili into your slow cooker, except the chicken, and give everything a good stir. Secure the lid and set to cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- When you're ready to serve, stir in the shredded chicken to warm through.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top each portion with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
- *If you want a mild chili, take out the seed and ribs of the jalapeño. Leaving them in gives the soup a spicy kick!
- *I like to use shredded chicken and just stir it in at the end - I love the texture best this way. However, you could use 2-3 raw chicken breasts and add them into your slow cooker when you add all of the other ingredients. Then, once the soup is finished, just shred the chicken into pieces.
- *Alternatively, if you don't have a slow cooker, you can make this chili on the stove top in about 1 hour. Just combine everything as in the recipe and bring to a simmer, for about an hour or until the flavors meld. Stir in the chicken and serve with desired toppings.