This delicious red curry salmon recipe is super simple and quick, but packs a punch in the favor department. Serve with cooked brown rice and sautéed spinach for a healthy meal.
I’m really excited to share today’s recipe with you because it’s definitely one of my new favorites. If you made the Thai Chicken Soup from a few weeks ago, you’re going to love this recipe! It uses similar ingredients, so if you if you have extra hanging out in your fridge and weren’t sure what to do with them, here you go.
It’s no secret how much I love salmon, and lately I’ve been really into Thai cooking, so I had to come up with something combining the two. I’m sure red curry salmon has been done before, but this is my version! It’s a super simple and healthy dish, but so delicious that you’d never know you’re eating something good for you.
The sauce comes together while the salmon broils, so it’s not only delicious and easy, but quick too! Red curry paste adds heat, fresh ginger adds spice, and fish sauce adds saltiness – all musts in Thai cooking. The coconut milk tones down the pungent flavors while adding richness. I like to use light coconut milk, to keep the fat and calorie content down, but unfortunately it’s much thinner than the full fat version. Adding a little bit of cornstarch thickens up the sauce nicely.
I like to serve the red curry salmon overtop of some cooked brown rice and wilted spinach, but feel free to use any vegetable you like. Make sure you have some limes around as the acidic punch right at the end really brings out all of the flavors of the curry – it makes the dish!
Red curry salmon is a great way to add some variety to your weeknight meals, and best of all it’s healthy. If you’ve never tried Thai food, I urge you to give it a try – Thai Chicken Soup and Red Curry Salmon are great introductory recipes. And since they use similar ingredients, you won’t have to worry about wasting money on stuff you’ll never use again.
Do you like Thai food? Have you ever tried cooking it at home?
- 4 (6 oz.) Salmon Filets
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 (14 oz.) Can Light Coconut Milk, shaken
- 2 Tablespoons Red Curry Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Fish Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Freshly Grated Ginger
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- Fresh Cilantro, for garnish
- Lime Wedges, for garnish
- Preheat the broiler.
- Season the salmon filets with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Broil the salmon for 8-10 minutes or until the fish is firm and golden brown.
- Meanwhile combine the coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, and ginger in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about 8 minutes. In a small bowl whisk the cornstarch and ¼ cup of the hot curry sauce; add back into the sauce and cook for another 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Serve the salmon with the curry sauce and garnish with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Make sure you shake the coconut milk before use as it tends to separate while in the can.
- Don't forget a squeeze of lime at the end as the acidity really brings out all the flavors and balances the dish!
- The flavors of the dish are mild, if you would like more heat you can add more curry paste.
Carla Corelli says
I just tried your blackened salmon recipe, so I guess this is next 🙂
Carla Corelli recently posted…Go Suck a Lemon – How to improve your Emotional Intelligence