Mix up the veggies at your Thanksgiving table with this veggie toss. This dish is spicy, garlicky, and has a hint of cheesiness from the Romano at the end – so good you’ll forget you’re eating veggies!
I’ve done the turkey and the perfect mashed potatoes, so what now? Vegetables of course! The veggies are very important (to me) at holiday meals because they kind of lighten everything up. I always serve two vegetable choices – one being plain old corn (everyone loves it) and then a green veggie.
For the past few years, I’ve made Brussels sprouts, but this year I decided to do something with green beans and kale. This is SO good that you’ll forget you’re eating veggies! It’s the perfect quick toss that you can throw in whatever your favorite vegetables are.
The base starts with olive oil, onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes for a little kick. If you aren’t into spicy you can just add a pinch or omit the red pepper flakes all together. Then toss in your veggies!
I start with the green beans first and then add some chicken broth. You can use vegetable broth or water, as this just helps to steam the green beans. Once they are tender I wilt in the kale and give it a good dose of salt and pepper and top it off with pecorino Romano cheese. YUM!
The cheese is completely optional, but it makes this dish in my opinion. Vegetables are allowed to be a little sinful on a holiday. At least that’s what I tell myself.
This veggie toss isn’t just for Thanksgiving – it would be great for any holiday meal, or just a simple weeknight side. It comes together fast and is versatile. It’s a good way to clean out the fridge of whatever extra vegetables you have hanging around.
Who knew vegetables could taste so good?
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
- ¼ Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes, to taste – feel free to add more or less
- 1 Pound French Green Beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ Cup White Wine or Chicken Stock (or veggie broth)
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1 Bunch Kale, finely chopped
- ¼ Cup Freshly Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese, optional
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and add the onion. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent. Add in the garlic, red pepper flakes, and the green beans. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. Next, add the wine (or stock) and the water, cover and cook for 5 minutes until the green beans are crisp-tender. Stir in the kale and let it wilt. Pour the vegetables into a serving bowl and top with the cheese, if desired.