Gluten-free scones that are tender, flaky, and buttery. They are studded with fresh cranberries and flavored with orange. These cranberry orange scones are great anytime, but make the perfect holiday breakfast treat!
Whenever I want a sweet treat for breakfast, I always go for a scone. I love the flaky texture, buttery flavor, and the fact that they aren’t overly sweet. My usual breakfast includes some form of eggs, but I was craving something sweet the other day.
Enter my holiday scone recipe! I think these would make a perfect breakfast for Christmas morning – they are easy to make, they keep well for a few days, and they are amazing! Oh, and no one will ever know they are gluten-free – my mom and I actually liked them better than traditional scones! However, these are easy to make with regular flour if you don’t need them to be gluten-free.
Cranberry and orange make such a great flavor combination! I chose to use fresh cranberries because I love how juicy and tart they are. The orange flavor is in the scone itself, as well as the glaze. The end product has the perfect balance of sweet and tart.
Scones are really easy to make – just throw your ingredients into your mixer, form the scones, chill, and bake! The glaze comes together in seconds – it’s just a mixture of powdered sugar, orange juice, and vanilla.
This recipe makes 8 large scones – one is perfect for me for breakfast. However, if you want you can make 16 mini scones. You could also easily double the recipe and freeze extra scones to have at a later date.
If you love scones as much as I do, you have to try this recipe! I just can’t get enough of them – I think I may have to whip up another batch!
- 280 Grams Gluten-Free Flour Blend, recommended King Arthur
- 1 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
- ½ Cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Dry Milk Powder
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter, cut into small cubes and kept cold
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Orange, zested and juiced
- ¼ Cup Heavy Cream, plus 1 tablespoon for brushing
- 1 Cup Fresh Cranberries
- ¼ Cup Orange Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- Combine the flour, xanthan gum, white sugar, salt, baking powder, and dry milk powder in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Turn the mixer on low speed and mix the ingredients together.
- Add in the butter cubes and let the mixer run for about 1 minute or until the butter is cut into the mixture – it should resemble coarse crumbs.
- Add in the egg, vanilla, orange juice/zest, and the heavy cream. Mix until just combined.
- Add in the cranberries and mix until just combined.
- Pour the dough out onto a floured surface and form into an inch-thick disk.
- Cut the disk into 8 pieces. Transfer the pieces to a parchment-lined baking sheet and then refrigerate the scones for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425º.
- Once the oven is preheated, remove the scones from the refrigerator and brush the tops with the remaining heavy cream.
- Bake the scones in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let the scones cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the scones are cooling, make the glaze. In a small bowl whisk together the orange juice, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar until very smooth.
- Spread the glaze onto each cooled scone, allowing it to drip over the sides. Let the glaze set onto the scones before storing in an airtight container.
- *If you don't need the scones to be gluten-free, simply swap out the gluten-free flour blend for 2 cups of all-purpose flour. Omit the xanthan gum and milk powder. Proceed with the recipe as written.
Leave a Reply