Kick off the New Year with a healthy make-ahead lunch! This pesto chicken salad is packed with protein to keep you full all afternoon. I like to serve mine in lettuce cups for a light, but filling meal!
Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season! It’s back to reality now and time to recover from all of the holiday food and sweet treats! Bring on the smoothies, lean protein, veggies, and pesto chicken salad.
I love this chicken salad so much. I like to buy a rotisserie chicken every Sunday, remove the skin, shred up the juicy meat, and make this to enjoy all week. You can serve this chicken salad a million different ways, but my favorite is in lettuce cups – it ‘s light, healthy, and delicious!
If you’re looking for quick, make-ahead lunch options, then this recipe is for you! It comes together in minutes, and you can enjoy it throughout the week. The dressing is made from homemade pesto, a little mayo (or greek yogurt, or mashed up avocado!), and a splash of milk to thin it all out. Then, just toss it with the chicken and sweet roasted red peppers. Best chicken salad you’ll ever have.
You can serve this so many different ways – eat it as is, in lettuce cups, as a sandwich (on a croissant), in a wrap, with crackers, or with tortilla scoops. Regardless of how you eat it, it’s amazing.
The version I’m sharing with you uses mayo because that’s what I had on hand at the time. However, it’s awesome with half of an avocado mashed up in place of the mayo. You can also use greek yogurt if you like. The pesto is what flavors it – the mayo, yogurt, or avocado just add some creaminess and give the feel of a traditional chicken salad.
I stocked up on avocado’s this week at Costco, so this week’s version will be including one! I can’t get enough of this salad, it just never gets old. And, the best part is it fills me up and keeps me full all afternoon!
I think once you try it, you’ll be hooked just like me!
- ¼ Cup Homemade Pesto, or store-bought
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise, or plain Greek yogurt, or mashed avocado
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 Cup Roasted Red Peppers, thinly sliced
- 4 Cups Shredded Chicken, from 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken
- Butter Lettuce, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pesto, mayo, and milk until smooth. Stir in the roasted red peppers and shredded chicken until well combined with the dressing.
- Serve the chicken salad in lettuce cups.
- This salad also makes a great sandwich, wrap, served with crackers, or served inside tortilla scoops.
Leave a Reply