All the flavors you know and love from buffalo wings but with a healthy twist. This buffalo chicken salad is fun, filling, and the perfect lightened up option to add to your super bowl menu!
Ah yes, the classic buffalo wing. Everyone has their own version and (almost) everyone loves them. I’m a huge fan of the flavor and, of course, the blue cheese dressing. However, I kind of hate getting buffalo sauce all up in my finger nails. And, during the super bowl I like to eat as many snacks as possible – messy hands make that difficult.
I’ve been on a salad kick lately, which is odd for me in the winter. Usually I get my fill in the summer, but not this year. So, it was only natural that I took the classic flavors of buffalo wings and turned it into a healthy, fingernail-friendly salad. That means clean hands for plenty of other snacks. Mozzarella sticks, perhaps? Or, how about spinach and artichoke dip? I highly recommend both!
Not only is this salad a lighter, less messy version of buffalo wings, but it’s much easier! Seasoned chicken is grilled and tossed in a homemade buffalo sauce, and then served over butter lettuce, chopped celery, and sweet grape tomatoes. Drizzle on the best homemade blue cheese dressing, and you’re ready for kickoff.
That’s all there is to it! Plus, it can be made completely ahead of time, which is always a good thing.
In my opinion, the best part of eating buffalo wings is the blue cheese dressing. Therefore, I needed a good one for this salad. I’ve tried a few recipes for homemade blue cheese dressing in the past, but there was always something missing. Too much blue cheese, not enough, too bland, too thick… you get the point.
I decided to develop my own recipe, and I nailed it on the first try! I love it when that happens. It’s such an easy dressing to make – equal parts sour cream and mayonnaise, a little vinegar and milk to thin it out, and blue cheese crumbles. That’s all it takes to make a great blue cheese dressing!
Game day would not be complete without some form of buffalo chicken, and these days you can find so many creative recipes. Whether you go for the classic buffalo wings, or a variation of some kind, you’re going to love this salad!
Now, if that isn’t a fresh twist on tradition, I don’t know what is!
- 2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut and pounded into 4 cutlets
- 2 Teaspoons Paprika
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
- Pinch of Cayenne Pepper, to taste, optional
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ Cup Hot Sauce
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Garlic Clove, smashed and peeled
- 1 Head Butter (Bibb) Lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Cup Chopped Celery
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tablespoons Sour Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Milk
- 1 Tablespoon White Wine Vinegar
- ¼ Teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 1/8 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- ¼ Cup Crumbled Blue Cheese
- Combine all of the spices in a small bowl and mix well. Rub each chicken cutlet with the spice mixture to coat well.
- Heat the olive oil in a stovetop grill pan (alternatively you could grill it on gas grill, cook it in a sauté pan, or broil it). Add the chicken cutlets and cook for about 2½ minutes per side, depending on the thickness.
- Let the chicken rest while you make the buffalo sauce.
- Heat the hot sauce, butter, and garlic clover over medium low heat and bring to a low simmer.
- Slice the chicken into strips and then toss it with the buffalo sauce. Cool completely.
- Toss together the lettuce, celery, and tomatoes in a large salad bowl. Lay the cooled chicken slices overtop.
- Whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, parsley, garlic powder, and pepper until very smooth. Stir in the blue cheese crumbles.
- Serve the salad with the dressing on the side.
- The salad can be made a few hours ahead of time and kept covered in the refrigerator. The dressing will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week.