Almonds, pecans, and walnuts are tossed with a flavorful mix of spices and herbs in this tasty snack. They will be the perfect snack to munch on while watching the Oscars this Sunday!I’m sure you all know by now just how much I love snacks. I will find any excuse to enjoy spinach dip, popcorn, mozzarella sticks… you get the point. With the Oscars being on this Sunday I wanted to come up with a fun and easy snack that’s also healthy. Enter these lovely little sweet and spicy nuts.
I basically took all of my favorite herbs and spices, combined them with something sweet and tossed it with nuts. The result? An addicting snack. Seriously… I couldn’t stop eating these!
I went with almonds, pecans, and walnuts for my mixture because I always have them on hand. I buy in bulk and then store them in the fridge or freezer to keep them as fresh as possible. Feel free to use whatever your favorite nuts are – cashews or hazelnuts would be a great addition!
These are so easy to make you won’t even believe it. All you have to do is toss together the seasoning mix, egg whites, and the nuts. Lay them out on a baking sheet and bake at a low temperature for 30 minutes. The hardest part here is to remember that you need to turn them around every 10 minutes!
These sweet and spicy herbed nuts are the perfect healthy snack to have around – as long as you can control how many you eat! I had to put mine away and out of site because I found myself grabbing a handful every time I walked by the bowl. I also couldn’t make it through shooting these without eating a bunch…basically grabbed a couple after each photo I took!
Ok, let me tell you what all goes into this tasty mix. Thyme and rosemary bring the herb component which gives the nuts a nice fresh, but earthy flavor. Garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne add a great savory and spicy kick. Maple syrup sweetens things up and of course salt to round it all out. My mouth is watering just typing this.
The egg whites are essential for allowing the spice mixture to adhere to the nuts and keep things extra crunchy. So, if you love sweet, spicy, salty, and crunchy snacks… you will absolutely love these! Have I convinced you to make these yet? I think I’ll go grab a handful now…
- 1 ½ Cups Whole Almonds
- 1 ½ Cups Pecan Halves
- 1 ½ Cups Walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme, finely chopped
- 1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
- ¾ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 2 Egg Whites
- Preheat the oven to 300º.
- Combine the nuts into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil over low heat in a small sauté pan. Add in the thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne. Mix well and cook for 30 seconds. Stir the in the maple syrup and remove the pan from the heat.
- Whisk the egg whites until frothy and then pour them into the bowl with nuts. Mix the egg whites and nuts well and then add in the reserved spice mixture. Mix until very well combined.
- Pour the nuts onto a baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.