A simple and healthy side dish perfect for a weeknight meal or Easter dinner!I have been vegetable obsessed lately. I’ve always loved vegetables, but over the past few weeks I have been making it a point to include them into every meal and snack. I’ve always eaten pretty healthy, but I indulged quite a bit too. So, with the summer coming and pre-wedding festivities (dress shopping and engagement shoot) I’ve decided to eat clean and commit to working out. So far I’ve been doing very well!
Eating lots of vegetables is easier said than done, though. I don’t know about you, but I can only eat plain steamed veggies for so long. So, I’ve been trying to come up with more creative ways to eat them. Enter today’s asparagus recipe!
It’s very simply steamed asparagus that’s tossed with sautéed shallots, garlic, and topped with feta and walnuts. Easy, quick, and delicious! Not only is this a great weeknight side dish, but it will be perfect for Easter. Which, is actually what I had in mind when I made it.
This tasty side pairs perfectly with my apricot and riesling glazed ham and mashed cauliflower. If you’re looking for a fuss-free holiday, these recipes are for you! I find myself trying to simplify my holiday meals because that means more time with family and less in the kitchen. You can still make an impressive fancy meal that doesn’t take too much time!
- 2 Bunches Fresh Asparagus, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely minced
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Toasted Walnuts, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Crumbled Feta Cheese
- Steam the asparagus until crisp-tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add in the shallot and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add in the steamed asparagus and season the mixture with salt and pepper. Cook for another minute.
- Pour the asparagus onto a serving platter or bowl and top with toasted walnuts and feta.
- This recipe serves 4 as a holiday side dish. It's easily multiplied to feed a larger crowd.
Natalie @ Tastes Lovely says
As if I couldn’t love asparagus any more! The flavors of this sound amazing. This will be gracing our Easter Sunday dinner menu for sure : )
Natalie @ Tastes Lovely recently posted…Five Things for Friday
Thanks, Natalie! I hope you enjoy it 🙂
Christina @ Bake with Christina says
What a great way to prepare asparagus, that looks delicious!! 🙂
Christina @ Bake with Christina recently posted…Coconut Vanilla Bean Cupcakes.
Annie @ The Garlic Diaries says
This asparagus looks amazing! Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies and this is such a cool new way to use it. Can’t wait to make this!
Annie @ The Garlic Diaries recently posted…Healthy Chocolate Pudding with Almond, Graham Cracker Crumb
Thanks, Annie! It’s one of my favorites too!
Maya @ Treats and Eats says
I definitely get sick of plain steamed veggies too! I’ve been roasting them a lot this winter, which I love, but now that it’s warming up I need to move back to steaming so this is perfect timing!
Maya @ Treats and Eats recently posted…Meyer Lemonade
I love roasted veggies too! Steaming is definitely perfect for the warmer weather!