Fresh bok choy is stir-fried with marinated chicken and shitake mushrooms in this quick and healthy meal. Top this saucy stir-fry off with cashews for crunch and serve over hot rice.
Last week Kyle and I joined a CSA (community shared agriculture) at a local farm here in Delaware. I spent a few weeks researching different options, e-mailing them with questions, and finally decided on one (more on the specifics later this week!). We had our first pickup last Saturday and I can’t even tell you how excited I was to go pick it up!
We received romaine lettuce, fennel, garlic, red and purple potatoes, collard greens, swiss chard, shiitake mushrooms, bok choy, leeks, pink lady apples, brussels sprouts, dill, and mint. Isn’t that awesome? I had so much fun all week coming up with different ways to use everything. You can expect to see recipes using lots of different veggies throughout the season.
First up, is this delicious chicken and bok choy stir-fry.
After I made this and tasted it, I knew I wanted to share it on the blog. I stared at it for a while debating whether or not to do it because I didn’t think it was the prettiest looking dish. I rearranged it a bit and tried to make look as pretty as possible, but I’m not thrilled with the photos. However, it tastes so good that I really wanted to share it with you all!
Stir-frying is such a great technique because you can cook a great, healthy meal really fast. Prepping ahead of time is a must for stir-frying since it comes together so quick, you want all your ingredients ready to go. I like to marinate the chicken for a bit before I start – this helps infuse the flavors of the sauce and makes the cooking part really easy. You just cook the chicken and it’s already in it’s own sauce. Then, stir-fry the mushrooms and bok choy, toss it all together and serve it over rice. Don’t forget to top it with cashews for extra crunch!
- 1 Pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- 1 Small Onion, thinly sliced
- 1-inch Piece of Ginger, finely grated
- 3 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Light Cooking Oil (light olive oil, peanut oil, vegetable oil, etc.)
- 1 Cup Sliced Shitake Mushrooms, or crimini mushrooms
- 2 Small Heads Bok Choy, thinly sliced
- ¼ Cup Cashews, for topping
- Fresh Scallions, for topping
- Cooked Rice (or cauliflower rice), for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, honey, onion, ginger, and garlic. Toss well and set aside for 15-30 minutes at room temperature. Alternatively you can prep this up to 12 hours ahead and let it marinate in the fridge.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Stir-fry the marinated chicken mixture for 3-5 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove to a bowl or plate.
- Heat the remainder of the oil over high heat and add in the mushrooms and bok choy. Stir fry for 3-5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Toss the chicken and juices into the wok with the vegetables and heat through.
- Serve the stir-fry over hot cooked rice and top with cashews and scallions.