Looking for a healthier replacement for your coffee creamer? This delicious homemade caramel vanilla coffee creamer is dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, and free of refined sugar.
Confession: up until 1 week ago, I hated coffee. I’ve always wanted to like it because the smell always gets me. I love coffee ice cream and other coffee flavored treats, but a regular ‘ole cup of joe was never my cup of tea. Ha.. I do love tea.
Anyway, last week while I was home visiting my parents I kept smelling their coffee and I wanted some so bad. I had a cup and ended up really enjoying it. Not sure what changed, but I’m now a coffee drinker!
If you love those flavored coffee creamers available, but are looking for a homemade alternative, this recipe is for you!
You only need 4 ingredients to make this creamer – almond milk, coconut milk, coconut sugar, and vanilla. Now, you can easily substitute the almond-coconut mixture for half and half if you prefer. I try to avoid refined white sugar as much as possible, so I used coconut sugar for sweetening. It’s very similar to brown sugar in flavor, so feel free to sub that or even white sugar if you’d like.
I start by cooking the sugar with a little water to get that caramel flavor. After boiling for 2 minutes, pour in the milk mixture and whisk until smooth. Take it off the heat and stir in the vanilla. That’s all there is to it!
I use 2 tablespoons in my coffee – it adds enough flavor and sweetness without covering up the coffee flavor. However you can start out with 1 tablespoon and go from there to find out your perfect amount.
Oh, and I should mention that a 2 tablespoon serving is only 33 calories! Low calorie and real ingredients? Yes!
- ½ Cup Coconut Palm Sugar*
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- ½ Cup Coconut Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
- Combine the coconut sugar and water in a small pot over medium-high heat. Whisk the mixture until the sugar dissolves and allow it to come to a boil. Boil the sugar mixture for 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and pour in the almond and coconut milk – working quickly whisk the mixture until smooth. (It will be the color of a light caramel sauce).
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Cool completely and then store in a glass bottle in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- *This may seem like a lot of sugar, but I started with half this amount and I felt it needed to be sweeter. A 1-2 tablespoon serving of the creamer doesn't add a lot of sweetness to your coffee, just a little bit. So, if you find it too sweet for your tastes just add less creamer to your coffee or play around with the sugar amount in the recipe!
- A 2 tablespoon serving contains around 33 calories!
- This recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, and vegan!