Fresh cauliflower is seasoned with aromatic Chinese five spice powder, roasted until golden, and then covered in a creamy sriracha sauce. This fun side dish may just change your mind about cauliflower!
Each week when I sit down to do my meal planning, I also plan out what I’m going to make for the blog. I keep a list of ideas in my planner, but sometimes I think up recipes randomly depending on what ingredients I have to work with.
I also have a tendency to get in over my head – it’s easy to write delicious sounding ideas down, but when it comes time to execute them, well that’s a different story. The cauliflower used in this recipe started out in my head as fried cauliflower bites. Well, the thought of frying sometimes overwhelms me. I really have to be in the mood to fry and I definitely wasn’t.
I decided I’d just bake the cauliflower. Well, then I realized that I had also planned to make and shoot two other recipes on the same day as the cauliflower. When I figured in the time it would take me to make all of this, plus set everything up to photograph, and then the cleanup… well, there just wouldn’t have been enough hours in the day.
I was just about to nix the whole cauliflower thing and then I had an idea – I’ll roast it and drizzle it with the sriracha sauce! Healthier, easier, and less messy! I had this revelation in the middle of night, by the way. Does anyone else wake up with ideas? Or am I just crazy?
All you have to do for this delicious side is cut up the cauliflower, toss it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and Chinese five spice. If you’ve never used Chinese five spice powder, you need to try it! It’s a unique blend of anise, cloves, cinnamon, fennel, and szechuan pepper. Depending on the brand you get the ingredients will vary (some have ginger).
This aromatic spice blend is amazing on cauliflower! It’s also great for other vegetables, meats, and can be used in stir-fries. It also pairs perfectly sriracha.
The sriracha sauce couldn’t get any easier – whisk together mayo (I use this Paleo one), sriracha, and lime juice. Add a little water to thin it out so you can easily drizzle it over the cauliflower. It’s really that simple!
While I’m sure my original idea of fried cauliflower would be insanely good, I’m really really happy with how this roasted version came out. You’ll probably see the fried recipe pop up in the future, but for now enjoy this healthy side dish!
- 1 Medium-Sized Head Cauliflower, cut into florets and then florets halved
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Light Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 Teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
- ¼ Cup Paleo Mayonnaise*
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 2 Teaspoons Sriracha, add more or less depending on how spicy you like it
- Water, for thinning
- Preheat the oven to 450º.
- Toss the cauliflower with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and five spice. Spread the cauliflower in an even layer on a baking sheet and transfer into the preheated oven.
- Roast the cauliflower for 15 minutes; remove it from the oven and stir. Place it back in the oven and continue roasting for another 15-20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender and golden brown.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, and sriracha until smooth and combined. Add a little water to thin out the sauce so that you can drizzle it over the cauliflower.
- Serve the cauliflower drizzled with the sriracha sauce.
- *You can use your favorite homemade or jarred mayo. The linked recipe is Paleo and keeps this recipe dairy-free!