Crispy zucchini tacos are the perfect way to celebrate Taco Tuesday all summer long! These summer-inspired tacos are full of fresh flavors with a roasted corn pico de Gallo, and are finished off with a garlicky chipotle aioli. Taco heaven!
Happy August! <— Can’t even believe I just said that. HOW is it AUGUST?! Wasn’t it just May? Can someone please figure out how to slow time down? Summer just goes by entirely too fast.
Don’t worry, though, you won’t see any fall-related things from me until it’s actually fall. I’m soaking up the summer produce as long as possible. Those apples and pumpkins can wait. ?
Speaking of summer produce… how do crispy zucchini tacos sound? Y’all know how much I love tacos.. and zucchini. It’s only natural I’d make a zucchini taco… and top it with roasted corn pico de gallo and chipotle aioli. Serious flavor explosion here, guys!
Before we jump into the deats on this recipe.. how was your weekend? We had a beautiful low humidity Sunday, which was perfect for getting the hubs to pressure wash the porch. I tended to my flowers since they were in serious need of it after the intense heat we had been having.
Alas, that only lasted one day and the humidity is back in full force. Oh well, it is summer after all. It’s supposed to be hot!
Ok, now back to tacos…
I’ve been really into vegetarian dishes lately. I suppose it’s the heat that makes me not want to eat much meat, or the fact that I have so many veggies this time of year. Whether you’re a meat eater or not, though, you’re going to love these zucchini tacos! You won’t’ even miss the meat with all the flavor going on here!
First up we have the crispy zucchini. Cut some zucchini (or squash) into sticks, bread them, and bake ’em until crispy. Easy, right?
As for the toppings, the roasted corn pico de gallo is SO tasty. It’s essentially just pico de gallo with roasted corn tossed in, but that little added sweetness is perfect with the spice from the chipotle aioli. You may remember the chipotle aioli from these cheesy fries. Well, it’s just as tasty on these tacos.. and a million other things!
Shredded lettuce and crumbled queso fresco finish off these tasty tacos. Believe me when I tell you, these are FULL of flavor and texture. They may even be my new favorite taco. ?
Have a great week everyone! ✌?
- 1 Ear Sweet Corn, husk left on
- 3 Plum Tomatoes, diced
- 3 Tablespoons Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Serrano Pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 3 Tablespoons Freshly Chopped Cilantro
- 2 Small (or 1 Medium) Zucchini or Squash
- 1 Egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- ½ Cup Breadcrumbs
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Chipotle Chili Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Oregano
- ½ Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Chipotle Pepper, with 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce
- ½ Orange, juiced (about 3 tablespoons)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Warm Corn Tortillas
- Shredded Lettuce
- Crumbled Queso Fresco
- Lime Wedges
- Preheat the oven to 425º. Place a baking sheet into the oven while it’s preheating to warm it up for the zucchini.
- Place the corn directly onto a rack in the oven and roast for 10 minutes. Set aside to let cool.
- Meanwhile, bread your zucchini sticks by dipping into the egg wash and then into the breadcrumbs, pressing lightly to adhere.
- Drizzle the preheated baking sheet with extra-light olive oil and arrange the zucchini sticks in an even layer. Bake the zucchini for 25-30 minutes, flipping once.
- Remove the corn from the cob and place it in a bowl. Add the tomatoes, red onion, Serrano pepper, lime juice, and cilantro to the corn and toss to combine. Set aside for the flavors to meld.
- Make the aioli by combining the mayo, garlic, chipotle pepper, adobo, and orange juice in a mini food processor and pulse until smooth. Season the aioli with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble the tacos as desired and enjoy! I like to start with lettuce, then pile in the zucchini, top that with the pico, queso fresco, and then a drizzle of the aioli over top. A squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of cilantro finish them off perfectly!