Fresh beets are made into noodles, tossed with a simple orange vinaigrette, and topped with fresh mint and pistachios. This sprialized beet salad is quick, easy, and a fun way to eat your veggies!
I have always loved beets, but I always do the same thing with them – roast them and either eat them as a side dish or put them on a salad. Don’t get me wrong, this way of eating beets is fabulous and obviously my favorite. However, I really wanted to do something different.
Enter the spiralizer.
This gadget is the perfect tool for when you need to add some variety to your veggies. I have to admit, I put off spiralizing beets because I was afraid of the mess I’d end up with. If you’ve ever dealt with fresh beets, you know exactly what I’m talking about. I made sure to wear gloves and lined my cutting board heavily with paper towels – it worked well and the mess was minimal!
I was wondering if I’d need to blanch the beet noodles as I’ve never eaten raw beets, but when I tried them I ended up loving them. And that was before I even topped them with anything!
I decided to keep things super simple and toss the beet noodles with a quick orange vinaigrette, fresh mint, and pistachios. I think goat cheese would be a wonderful addition to this, but I didn’t have any and I really wanted to keep it dairy free. I also think grilled chicken or shrimp would be awesome on top of this. Oh, and avocado. Looks like the possibilities are endless!
- 2-4 Beets, I used a mix of red and golden, peeled and spiralized*
- 1 Orange, juiced
- 1 Tablespoon White Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Mint Leaves, thinly sliced
- ¼ Cup Pistachios, finely chopped
- Place the beet noodles in a large bowl.
- In a small mason jar, combine the orange juice, vinegar, honey, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Shake until well combined. Pour the dressing over the beet noodles.
- Add in the mint and pistachios and toss well. Serve immediately. See notes for make ahead directions.
- *To make the salad easier to eat, cut the noodles down a bit.
- *To make this salad ahead: combine the beet noodles with the mint and pistachios and keep the dressing separate. When you’re ready to serve, toss the salad with the dressing. This method will keep the color and freshness - I did try tossing it with the dressing the day before and while it still tasted good, the color was a little drab!