Crisp-tender green beans are sautéed with onions and almonds in this healthy side dish. This dish makes a great accompaniment to any meal!A few weeks ago while shopping at whole foods, I spotted a steam-able bag of fresh haricot vert (french cut green beans). I grabbed them without having anything in mind, but I knew I would come up with something. We also picked up some fresh sausages at the meat counter while we were there. Kyle planned on having his with peppers on a hoagie roll, while I planned on eating mine with extra peppers and no roll.
While the sausages were cooking I remembered I had those green beans and quickly threw them in the microwave to steam. It only takes about 5 minutes and you have perfect green beans right in the bag!
Anyway, I wanted something more than just plain green beans, so I sautéed them with some onions, almonds, and fresh thyme. They turned out so good that I decided to make them again to share with you. Even my nut-hater of a fiancé enjoyed these!
This side dish is healthy, comes together super fast, and couldn’t be easier! Especially if you can get those steam-in-a-bag fresh green beans. I really prefer the thin haricot vert, but regular green beans will work just as well.
I sautéed everything in coconut oil, which is delicious and gives you a very similar taste/texture as butter. You don’t really pick out the coconut flavor, it really does act like butter. I’m sure you all know the magic of coconut oil, so I won’t bore you with anymore!
I’ve served these green beans with my meatballs and lemon dill salmon. You can really serve these with anything! They definitely paired well with my tuscan chicken sausage that I love from whole foods. Have you ever tried any of the fresh sausages? They have so many flavors, which are all awesome and fresh made in store. Next time you’re in whole foods give them a try!
If you’re looking for a quick and easy side dish that’s also healthy – give this recipe a try. It will become your go-to green bean recipe! I think it would make a great side for a holiday meal…
- 1 Pound Fresh Haricot Verts, I use the steam-in-a-bag
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil, divided
- 1 Small Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme, leaves removed from stems and finely chopped
- ¼ Cup Raw Whole Almonds, chopped
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley, chopped
- Steam the fresh green beans in the microwave according to package instructions. Alternatively you can steam the beans on the stovetop for about 8 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan. Add in the onion and fresh thyme and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Add in the almonds and season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Toss in the green beans and mix well. Cook for about 1 minute to let the flavors combine.
- Top the beans with fresh parsley and serve.