Start your day off right with a protein-packed frittata full of veggies! This make ahead breakfast option is perfect throughout the week for a quick meal or snack. I hope you all had a fantastic weekend and Easter! I had planned on posting Sunday, but I got caught up in the day and never got around to it. We had brunch in the morning and then went for ice cream in the afternoon for dessert. I made Kyle go for a walk with me since the weather was nice and I needed to work off that sundae I had!
I’ve said before how much I love breakfast food, but never usually eat it during normal breakfast hours. The main reason for that is because I hate cooking as soon as I wake up. I like to welcome the day with a calm few minutes to myself that don’t involve messing up my kitchen. I try really hard to plan a make-ahead option that I can make on Sunday to have throughout the week, but most times I get caught up in other things and forget. That means Kyle is usually the one making breakfast!
When I do remember to make something ahead, it’s usually always a frittata of some kind. This broccoli and spinach version is one of our favorites. It’s so fresh and filling and is perfect topped with some cheddar and salsa. Frittatas are a great option for a make ahead breakfast because you can eat them hot, at room temperature, or cold. You can also do any vegetable combination that you like! It’s one of those recipes that you can “clean out” your fridge with and add whatever veggies, meats, and cheeses you want to use up. We love topping this version with a pineapple mango salsa that we get from Costco – it’s so good! Target’s Archer Farms brand also has a great pineapple peach salsa that works well with this too. This recipe uses 10 eggs, so I cut the frittata into 10 wedges. One is enough for me in the morning along with a piece of fruit. It also makes a great snack when you come home starving and need something to hold you over before dinner!
Frittatas are also perfect for brunch – serve it alongside some breakfast potatoes and fresh fruit (and a mimosa).
- 1 Tablespoon Light Olive Oil, or butter
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
- 1 Small-Medium Head Broccoli, cut into florets and steamed
- 3 Cups Baby Spinach
- Kosher Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Roasted Red Peppers, thinly sliced
- 10 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons Milk (I use almond)
- ½ Cup Cheddar Cheese
- Salsa, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a 10-inch nonstick skillet. Add in the onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Add in the broccoli and spinach and season the mixture with salt and pepper. Cook the vegetables until the spinach has wilted. Stir in the roasted red peppers.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with the milk until well combined and creamy, season with salt and pepper. With the heat on medium-low, pour in the eggs into the skillet and stir.
- Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven and bake the frittata for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the frittata is set and the cheese is melted.
- Cool the frittata for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with salsa for topping.