Flaky buttery scones get a savory twist with sharp cheddar cheese and fresh zucchini. These zucchini cheddar scones are the perfect way to use those garden zucchinis!
Hello friends! Are you excited that it’s almost Friday? I am! Why, you ask? The Olympics, of course!
I absolutely love the summer olympics and can’t wait to watch. Women’s gymnastics is definitely my favorite, but I also really like swimming. Do you plan on watching at all?
Ok, let’s move on to scones. Again. Didn’t I just post a scone recipe? Yeah, I really do have an obsession with scones.
This isn’t just any scone recipe – it’s a savory scone recipe! Zucchini and cheddar to be exact. Think cheddar bay biscuits in scone form… with zucchini added. YUM!
Scones are always a big hit in my house because they are a “grab and go” breakfast. I’ve mentioned before how much I love breakfast, but really don’t like making it every single day. Kyle is the breakfast maker during the week and I do weekends. He certainly doesn’t love making breakfast, but if he didn’t he wouldn’t eat ?.
Sometimes I’m a good wife and make something, like these zucchini cheddar scones, so that he can take the week off. See, I can be nice!
We thoroughly enjoyed our scones toasted with butter. They are delicious alone, or alongside scrambled eggs and bacon for a heartier breakfast!
If you’re in need of a good breakfast or brunch item, I highly encourage you to make these. I promise they will be a huge hit! Plus, they are fantastic way to use those never-ending garden zucchinis!
Have a fantastic weekend!
- 280 Grams Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour*, I used Cup4Cup
- 1 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum, omit if the flour blend already contains it
- ¾ Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter, cubed and kept very cold
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Half and Half, plus more for brushing
- 2 Tablespoons Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Grated Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Cup Grated Zucchini
- Combine the flour, xanthan gum (if using), salt, and baking powder in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Give it a quick mix to combine the dry ingredients.
- Add in the butter and turn the mixer to low speed and mix until you have something resembling coarse crumbs. Add in the egg, half and half, and sour cream. Mix until just combined.
- Add in the cheddar cheese and zucchini and mix until evenly distributed.
- Turn the batter out onto a floured work surface and pat into a round disk, about an inch thick. Cut into 8 equal pieces and transfer to a silicone or parchment-lined baking sheet. Alternatively, you can make mini scones by patting out 2 disks and cutting each into 8 pieces so that you have a total of 16 mini scones.
- Transfer the scones to the refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425º.
- Brush the chilled scones with half and half and then bake them for 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden and firm to the touch. Allow them to cool and store in airtight container.
- Enjoy them as is or toasted with butter!
- *To make with regular flour simply swap out the gluten-free flour for an equal weight of all-purpose flour. Omit the xanthan gum and proceed with the recipe as written.